Sunday, January 15, 2012

Happy New Year!

Ok. So I tend to run on the rather "late" side of things. Happy belated new year. This past year was such an eventful one. (Maybe they all are and it just feels like this at the end?)


I did get laid off in the spring, and as a result, had a glorious (ha! read "jobless", "moneyless") summer in the sun to relax, regroup, and work on projects. I feel that I was able to accomplish so much more, finally having the time to myself to work on my funny ideas.

The best thing that came from my time was the time I was able to spend with my jewelry teacher in helping her with her own commissioned work. It was a great times spent with many creative peoples. I learned so much and really earned some confidence in my abilities. *sigh*

Now onto what I actually did you say? Good idea.
This is the grouping that I brought to my studio group's holiday fair this past December. I am very proud of what I brought to the table this year. I really did try and push myself to come up with something newer and different. Something that is still jewelry, but maybe more unexpected. These copper barrettes and tiny hair clips were my solution. As my hair has grown SO much this year (for lack of funding for the cutting, I suppose), making these hair ornaments fit perfectly. I took many of my inspirations from Art Nouveau design books, and architectural elements I come across in my travels. With my camera always in my bag, I'm ready for inspiration always.

I am still amazed that pieces in my group sold. Sadly though, I didn't get the chance to have a proper photo shoot with them in someone's hair before the show. (Maybe next year I'll have them completed early enough to do that? eh. Maybe,)

I'm still onto copper and all the fun things I can do with it now. Maybe bobby pins? I love the look of something sparkly in a big wavy mash-up of hair. Practice. Practice.

A challenge has been thrown at me: Create a tiara with the flower designs I've already created, in silver, for my sister's upcoming wedding. "Will she chicken out? Will she succeed? Will her sister pick a dress that doesn't match the design at all and she will need to start all over again?"

We can only wait, watch and wonder.

**Please do check out my Flickr page as I've got lots more close-up photos of the individual clips. The light as it shines on the re-heated copper is just lovely.**

Have a happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment